Alrighty, I've never really had anything to blog about before, however, since I've started to explore the fishing waters out here in Eastern NC, I've been getting quite a bit of attention, so I figured "What the Hell". For a bit of back story, I'll tell you that I grew up in Utah and Arizona and have been a fisherman my whole life. Utah Lake, Lake Powell, Lee's Ferry, and countless creeks, streams, rivers and ponds.
I joined the Marine Corps when I was 18 and was stationed at Cherry Point, NC from early 1999 to mid 2001. Out here I met a good friend who was from the area and he proceeded to fill my head with knowledge of saltwater fishing. The difference was mind blowing! My first time ever fishing in the ocean was off a pier in Cape Hatteras on the Outer Banks. My first day, I caught about two dozen fish of at least 10 different species. Red drum, black drum, bluefish, puffers, sheepshead, flounder, etc.
Eventually, the stars aligned and I was able to make the move cross country. Unfortunately, life tends to get in the way of our recreation and for another year, I still hadn't touched a rod and reel. Finally, I got some funds and spent a good chunk on fishing equipment. Then I realized something. I had forgotten almost everything I knew about how to fish out here. Where were the fish? Are the different fish available only during certain times of the year? What effect does the tide have? Wind? Water temp? I had no clue. AAAAAAAAAAnd before I could figure it out, life reared it's ugly head again and I was once more benched for fishing.
Unfortunately it got cold immediately after that, and I'm a big puss when it comes to the cold. So I sat it out and when it started warming up a couple of months ago, I hit the creek again. And that's where my story really starts...
No comments:
Post a Comment